Recipe: Almond Bulghur with Black Beans, Tomatoes, and Kale
from the book One-Dish Vegan
- 1/2 cup bulghur
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olibve oil or 1/4 cup water
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg or cloves
- 9 ounces kale, thick stems removed, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1.5 cups cooked black beans
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered toasted almonds
- Place the bulghur in a bowl. Pour the hot broth over it and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil or water in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and the spices. Cook, stirring until the onion is softened. Add the kale, scallions, beans, tomatoes and the soaked bulghur and any unabsorbed broth. Reduce the heat to low. Cover. Simmer until the ingredients are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the almond butter and the lemin juice. Stir to blend. Stir the mixture into the pilaf and season to tatse with salt. Sprinkle with toasted almonds. Serve hot.
Posted: to Recipes on Sun, Jan 5, 2014
Updated: Sun, Jan 5, 2014