Recipe: Mediterranean Rice and Chickpea Salad
from the book One-Dish Vegan
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1.5 tablesoons white wine vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2.5 cups cold cooked rice
- 1/2 cup grated fresh fennel or minced celery
- 1/2 small red onion, minced
- 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- Torn mixed salad greens
- Preheat the broiler. Halve and seed the red peppers. Place on a baking sheet, skin side up. Broil until skis are balckened. Place the peppers in a plastic or paper bag and let stand about 10 minutes. remove charred skin and discard.Cut the peppers into thin strips.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Wisk in the oil in a slow, steady streamuntil emulsified and smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, fennel, onion, chickpeas, olives, and roasted red peppers. Add the dressing and toss well.
- Arrange the salad greens on plates. Top with the rice mixture.
Posted: to Recipes on Sun, Jan 5, 2014
Updated: Sun, Jan 5, 2014