Recipe: Sweet Potato and Turnip Mash
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces turnips (about 2 medium), peeled and diced
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 30 fresh sage leaves, divided (12 left whole, the rest cut into strips)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely cracked pepper
- Place potatoes, turnips, garlic and 12 sage leaves in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are fork-tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain. Return the vegetables to the pan and keep covered.
- Heat butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. As it melts and turns lightly brown, add the strips of sage and allow them to crackle and flavor the butter, about 1 minute.
- Pour the sage and butter over the vegetables and smash with a potato masher. Stir in salt and pepper and serve.
Posted: to Recipes on Fri, Jan 3, 2014
Updated: Fri, Jan 3, 2014