Recipe: Basic Vegetable Stock
from the book One-Dish Vegan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil OR 1/4 cup water
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 8 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon wheat-free tamari (optional)
- Heat the oil or water in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots, and cover. Cook until softened (about 5 minutes).
- Remove the lid and add the water, garlic, and all remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about an hour.
- Strain the broth through a fine-mesh sieve into another pot, pressing out the juice of the vegetables with a large spoon.
- The broth is now ready to use! It will keep in the fridge for 3 days (tightly covered) or in the freezer for 4 months.
Posted: to Recipes on Fri, Jan 3, 2014
Updated: Fri, Jan 3, 2014