Recipe: Beet and Celeriac Casserole
from the book Vegetarian, by Linda Fraser
- 12 ounces raw beets
- 12 ounces raw celeriac
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- 6 juniper berries, crushed
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
How to make it
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Peel and slice the beets very finely. Quarter and peel the celeriac and slice very finely.
2. Fill a 10 inch cast-iron oven-proof frying pan with alternate layers of beet and celeriac slices, sprinkling with thyme, juniper, salt and pepper between each layer.
3. Mix the orange juice and stock together and pour over the gratin. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Boil for two minutes.
4. Cover with foil and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Remove the foil and raise the oven temperature to 400 degrees. Cook for another 10 minutes.
Posted: to Recipes on Sun, Nov 17, 2013
Updated: Sun, Nov 17, 2013