Recipe: Parsnip-Onion Tarte Tatin
from Everyday Food magazine
Serve this savory upside-down tart with a leafy green salad for a great vegetarian dinner.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into 1/4-inch rounds and separated into rings
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch rounds
- All-purpose flour, for work surface
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a 10-inch ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high.
- Add onion, thyme, and sugar and cook until onion is softened, about 8 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium and spread onions evenly in pan.
- Add parsnips in an even layer, cover, and cook until almost tender, 8 minutes.
- On a lightly floured work surface, trim pastry into a 10-inch round.
- Top parsnips with pastry.
- Bake until pastry is puffed and golden, 20 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack, 10 minutes, then invert.
Posted: to Recipes on Mon, Jul 15, 2013
Updated: Thu, Aug 1, 2013