Recipe: Mashed Parsnips
from Mollie Katzen via Co-op member Kathleen
2 pounds parsnips (about 6 medium ones, approximately 8 inches long, 2-inch diameter)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
Freshly ground black pepper
- Put up a large saucepan of water to boil.
- Meanwhile, peel the parsnips, and trim and discard the ends. Chop the parsnips into 2- to 3-inch pieces.
- When the water boils, add the cut parsnips, and cook them for about 10 minutes, or until very soft. Use a mesh scooper or a slotted spoon to remove them from the water (shaking out the excess) and transfer them to the work bowl of a food processor. (Remove the saucepan of water from the heat, but don’t dump it out yet.)
- Add the olive oil, vinegar, and salt to the parsnips, and process until very smooth. If they seem a bit dry, add a little of their cooking water. (If you don’t have a food processor, just put everything in a bowl and mash well with a fork or a potato masher.)
- Season to taste with black pepper (correcting the salt and vinegar along the way, if you so choose) and serve hot or warm.
Posted: to Recipes on Thu, May 2, 2013
Updated: Thu, May 2, 2013