Recipe: Pan Sauteed Fiddlehead Ferns
- 2 Dozen Fiddlehead Ferns
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Lemon - Juice and Grated Zest
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- Fill a medium bowl with cold water (use a few ice cubes to get it colder)
- Add the salt and the juice from half of a lemon. Trim the fiddlehead ferns and remove any brown, or dry areas and soak them in the lemon water to clean them.
- Melt the butter in a pan (not non-stick) over medium high heat. Blanch the fiddlehead ferns for about one minute in boiling water.
- Strain and quickly transfer to melted butter and cook about 2 minutes on each side, until slightly crispy and golden. Season with salt, pepper and some lemon zest. Serve hot with an aged cheese or green tomatoes on the side.