Recipe: Gluten-Free Vegan Cinnamon Buns
Courtesy of my daughter’s sister-in-law (There’s got to be a better word for that!)
- 2 cups warm unsweetened plain almond milk
- 2½ teaspoons yeast
- ¼ cup egg substitute (I used the equivalent of 2 flax eggs)
- ? cup melted vegan margarine
- 4½ cups all-purpose gluten-free flour mix
- 1½ teaspoons Xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/3 cup softened vegan margarine
- Combine the warm milk with yeast in the work bowl of your mixer. Allow to sit for a few minutes to allow the yeast to begin to activate.
- Add the egg substitute, melted margarine, gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, salt and granulated sugar in the work bowl of your mixer. Mix on high for 3 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Grease a 9×13 baking pan generously.
- Spread plastic wrap on your counter and flour with gluten-free flour.
- Pour out dough onto floured plastic wrap. The dough will be very sticky and you might think it’s going to be impossible to roll out.
- Sprinkle dough with flour and flour the rolling pin well.
- Gently roll out dough to a rectangle that measures 16″ x 21″. You won’t have to push hard at all, but instead you’re mostly using the rolling pin to smooth out the dough to the proper size and thickness.
- Spread softened margarine gently over the dough. I ended up using my hands to soften the margarine even further.
- Sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mixture and spread out to the edges of the dough.
- Roll up the dough length wise, using the plastic wrap to lift and fold the dough over. If you’ve ever made sushi and are familiar with using a rolling mat you’ll use the same principles in rolling the cinnamon buns with the plastic wrap. Make sure the first roll is as tight as possible
- Cut into 12 equal portions. Place into the prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool and serve as desired.
Posted: to Recipes on Mon, Feb 11, 2013
Updated: Mon, Feb 11, 2013