Recipe: Chilled Melon Soup
from River Valley Market
Chilled Melon Soup
This refreshing summer soup is a great starter for dinner on the patio on a summer evening. Try any variety of melon in this recipe. Serve leftover soup with salad for lunch the next day.
6 servings, about 3/4 cup each | Active Time: 40 minutes | Total Time: 2 hours 40 minutes
- 6 cups cubed ripe melon
- 1/2 cup diced seedless cucumber
- 6 tablespoons lime juice, divided, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced scallion green, plus 1 whole scallion, divided
- 1 jalapeño pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 2-by-1/2-inch strip orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro, or mint for garnish
- 6 teaspoons plain yogurt, or crème fraiche for garnish
- Dice enough melon to measure 1 cup and combine in a small bowl with cucumber, 2 tablespoons lime juice and scallion green. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve the soup.
- Place the remaining melon and 4 tablespoons lime juice in a blender. Chop the whole scallion and seed and chop jalapeño; add to the blender along with water, orange zest, orange juice, ginger and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and add more lime juice, jalapeño and/or orange juice, if desired.
- Refrigerate the soup until chilled, 2 hours.
- Stir the reserved diced melon mixture and divide among 4 soup bowls. Pour the soup into the bowls. Garnish each serving with cilantro (or mint) and yogurt (or crème fraîche), if using.
Posted: to Recipes on Thu, Oct 25, 2012
Updated: Thu, Oct 25, 2012