Recipe: Frosted Grapefruit Icebox Cookies
from the book, Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
- 1/2 cup nonhydrogenated margarine
- 1/4 cup nonhydrogenated vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup red grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon red grapefruit zest
- 1.75 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 - 4 tablespoons red grapefruit juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons red grapefruit zest for sprinkling
- Cream together margarine and shortening.
- Beat in sugar until fluffy.
- Mix in vanilla, juice, and zest.
- Add cornstarch, flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat until a soft dough forms.
- On a piece of parchment paper, roll the dough out into a log about 14 inches long. Roll the log up in the paper and rotate it, squaring off the sides. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from teh fridge and cut into slices just under 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake 15 minutes until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool on cookie sheets 5 minutes, then transfer to wire cooling rack.
Make the glaze and assemble
- Use a fork to mix the sugar, grapefruit juice, and vanilla. The glaze should fall from the fork in thick ribbons.
- Spoon the glaze onto completely cooled cookies and spread a bit.
- Sprinkle the cookies with a little grapefruit zest.
- Allow cookies to set for at least a half hour.
Posted: to Recipes on Thu, Sep 27, 2012
Updated: Mon, Oct 22, 2012