Recipe: Butternut Squash Indian Pudding
from Vegetarian Times
- ½ small butternut squash
- 2 cups 1% milk
- ? cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- ? tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 large pinch salt
- 1 Tbs. butter
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. blackstrap molasses
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Place squash half cut-side down on baking sheet. Bake 1 hour. Cool. Scoop flesh from skin, and purée in food processor.
2. Reduce oven heat to 275ºF. Coat 1-qt. baking dish with cooking spray.
3. Whisk together milk, cornmeal, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt in saucepan. Cook over medium heat 10 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat, and blend in butter. Stir in squash purée, brown sugar, and molasses. Pour into prepared baking dish, and bake, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours, or until knife tip inserted in center comes out clean.
Posted: to Recipes on Thu, Sep 27, 2012
Updated: Thu, Sep 27, 2012