Recipe: Mushroom Pecan Burgers
- 1 1/2 pounds (685 g) cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup (30 g) fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil, divided
- 2 large-size yellow onions, finely chopped
- 3 large-size garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups (165 to 220 g) bread crumbs or cracker meal
- 3 tablespoons (45 g) tahini
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) hoisin sauce
- 3/4 cup (85 g) toasted pecans or walnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) tamari soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- salt and ground pepper, to taste
In a food processor, mince mushrooms and parsley. Remove and set aside.
In a sauté pan over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil and cook onions and garlic for 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer onion mixture to a large-size bowl, and combine with minced mushrooms and parsley, bread crumbs, tahini, hoisin sauce, chopped nuts, tamari, oregano, sage, salt, and pepper.
Place mixture in refrigerator for at least half an hour. Mixture will be soft, but you should be able to form patties. Add additional bread crumbs or tahini, if needed.
Create patties using your hands. In a sauté pan, warm remaining 1 tablespoon (15 ml) oil, and fry patties over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, until lightly browned and crispy. Be careful to keep patties intact.
Posted: to Recipes on Thu, Aug 23, 2012
Updated: Thu, Aug 23, 2012