Recipe: Nina’s Home-Made Tomato Sauce
HOME MADE TOMATO SAUCE
- 5 Lbs Italian Plum tomatoes
- 1 large sliced onion
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh Italian flat parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic- chopped or mashed
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- ½ cup water
- Wash tomatoes, cut in half, remove any blemishes, and place in large pot with sliced onion and the water.
- Cover and bring to a slow boil. Stir to keep tomatoes from sticking to bottom of the pot.
- When tomatoes are soft remove from stove, and let cool a bit.
- Place ladles full of tomatoes through a food mill and process over another large pot. Use the smallest holes on the food mill- this will remove the seeds and the skin.
- After all the tomatoes have been strained, put back on stove and simmer to a slow boil, uncovered.
- Let sauce simmer on low for about a half hour.
- Add chopped parsley, basil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Simmer slowly without a cover for another hour.
- Taste it, if tart, add a pinch of sugar.
- Simmer sauce until it is fairly thick, stirring often, about another hour or so. The lower and slower you simmer it the better the taste and the thicker it gets. I have let sauce simmer 3 or 4 hours.
You can add oregano if you want- fresh is best.
When sauce is done you can put it aside and use on pasta later, or after it cools you can freeze it.
I have used cherry tomatoes in my sauce, and heirloom, or yellow tomatoes also, just use a little less water.