- 1 1/2 cups of fennel root chopped into 1/3 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup pineapple chunks cut into similar size as the fennel
- 1 medium orange bell pepper seeded and cut into long slices 1/4 inch thick
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and slice into thin 1/2 inch pieces
- bunch of fresh coriander leaves chopped fine
- 2 tbsp pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Have all the ingredients ready before preparing the salad. Chop a medium sized fresh fennel root into small pieces (1/3 inch size), 1 1/2 cups in total. Cut the pineapple chunks into similar size pieces, 1/2 cup in total. Make sure to use the can of pineapple chunks that comes with pineapple juice and not heavy or light syrup. Cut one large jalapeno pepper (after removing the seeds) into thin 1/2 inch size pieces. After seeding the orange bell pepper, cut into long 1/4 inch thick slices and set aside.
In a non stick pan, on medium heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp coarsely crushed cumin seeds (not powder). When the cumin seeds begin to crackle, add the orange bell peppers and roast them until golden brown. Turn off the flame.
In a large salad bowl, mix the fennel, jalapeno peppers, pineapple pieces, roasted orange bell peppers and cumin seeds, freshly chopped coriander leaves, pineapple juice, lemon juice, salt to taste and mix well together. Serve immediately.
Serve fresh at room temperature or cold.