Recipe: Apple and Fennel Salad
from the Purple Foodie
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- A handful of tender salad greens
- 2-3 tbsp Parmesan, shaved
- 2-3 tbsp toasted walnuts
- Freshly ground pepper
Flaky sea salt
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the fennel bulb vertically, so that you're cutting through the trimmed shoots.
- Once halved, you can see the hard core at the base of the fennel. Scoop it out and discard.
- Next, place the halved fennel on a cutting board, flat surface down. Slice it diagonally starting from the base, making sure to keep them as thin as possible. Or use a mandolin if you have one.
- Next, halve and core the apple. Cut into thin slices.
- Transfer the fennel and apple to a bowl, making sure to separate the ones that are stuck together.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and lemon zest.
- Add the salad green, walnuts and Parmesan and toss together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon and olive oil. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad. Toss to coat evenly.
- Garnish with more Parmesan and walnuts. Serve.
Posted: to Recipes on Tue, Jun 26, 2012
Updated: Wed, Jun 27, 2012