Recipe: Chilled Strawberry and Rhubarb Soup
from Eating Well magazine
Chilled Strawberry-Rhubarb Soup
Sweet strawberries and tart rhubarb are whirled together in this chilled soup. Serve it as a starter for an early-summer supper.
4 servings, about 1 1/4 cups each | Active Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 cups 1/2-inch pieces rhubarb, fresh or frozen
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil or mint, plus more for garnish
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring rhubarb and 3 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Cook until the rhubarb is very soft and broken down, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Put a couple inches of ice water in a large bowl and set the bowl with the rhubarb in it to help cool it quickly. (If you aren’t in a hurry, you can skip the ice-water bath.) Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until cool, at least 20 minutes.
- Transfer the rhubarb to a blender. Add strawberries, sugar and salt; blend until smooth. Return to the bowl and stir in 1/3 cup basil (or mint). Serve sprinkled with more herbs and a generous grinding of pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the soup (without basil or mint) for up to 1 day. Stir in herbs just before serving.
Posted: to Recipes on Tue, Jun 12, 2012
Updated: Tue, Jun 12, 2012